Friday, September 9, 2011

My Name Activity

I always start the year with the book Chrystanthemum by Kevin Henkes.  We do lots of activities with the book including story mapping, sequencing, graphing, and so on.  One really fun activity is having students talk with parents about their own names, who chose the name and why, and so on.  I then have them write an acrostic using the letters of their names.  We publish these acrostic poems and hang them in the hall for parents to enjoy at Parent Night.  This year, I gave students a pencil-drawn outline of a body (somewhat like a paper doll) then had them turn it into a self portrait, including the clothes they were wearing at that time.  These self-portraits then hold a "sign" with the student's name acrostic.  Here are some pictures of our display:









 Don't you LOVE kids' self-portraits?!

3 comments:

  1. I start the year with this book too with lots of activities. The kiddos love it! I am your newest follower. Come by when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds of something I did with my students who are autistic....
    I love it.... Just proves that great minds think alike...Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you had the kids do a full body portrait to go with their poem. So cute!

    I am going to follow your blog and would love to have you follow mine. You can find me at:

    aseriesof3rdgradeevents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete